Re: Files in the archive with no extension cause problems

On Tue, Feb 05, 2002 at 07:42:08PM -0500, James A. Treacy wrote:
> There are files which boot floppies controls that have no file
> extension. This causes problems because apache assumes that they have
> mime type text/plain and newbies don't can't figure out how to download
> the file. A good example is dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/linux .
> Try wget -S http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-i386/current/linux
>
> Here are some alternatives:
>  - add .htaccess files and add lines like:
>        <Files linux>
>          ForceType application/octet-stream
>        </Files>
>    The problem with this is that not all mirrors are running apache.
>    Additionally, if a site has set 'AllowOverride None', apache will give
>    an error message when users try to download the file.
>  - Have sites add 'DefaultType application/octet-stream' to either the
>    apache config file or to a .htaccess file. Using a .htaccess file has
>    the same problem as the first example. Besides the problem of getting
>    hundreds of mirrors to modify their apache config, there is the
>    additional problem that there are probably files in the archive that
>    are plain text that would then be consider as binaries.
>  - rename all binaries with no file extension
>
> What I suggest is that starting with the next release any files that
> aren't plain text be given an extension that will convince apache that
> they are binaries. The biggest hassle here will be changing all the
> links to the files.
>
> If you don't do anything about this, the webmasters will be forced to
> send all mail from lusers complaining about this problem to this list. :)

This is not really as bad as it sounds. I looked at what would need to
change for the linux file. What would be a good extension, linux.bin?
It's a dozen places in rescue.sh and release.sh each, rdev.sh and
bootconfig.c for a couple lines each, and syslinux.cfg and other
bootloader files. The worst part is the documentation and messages,
which I'd be willing to take on -- and those would not cause many bugs.

In the ppc area, bootargs is a text document, so no problem. Same with
any kernel-configs.

The apus bootstrap folder has several binaries also, so that would be
a little additional work. But the dozen or so people it would impact
would probably be forgiving.

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |