Re: Disabling vga16 in the boot config

#include <hallo.h>
Philip Blundell wrote on Sat Jan 12, 2002 um 05:32:40PM:
> > Since base-config currently does not make any use of the language
> > (correct me if I am wrong), is there anything speaking against it?
>
> Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying.
>
> Can you be more concrete about what you are proposing?

Look, vga16 fb driver is built-in into the kernels of our i18n
flavors and loads automaticaly. The user is not able to use another
framebuffer driver from module, not without specifying the
video=vga16:off parameter to prevent the vga16 driver from beeing
loaded. The question is: should we let the vga16 driver be enabled and
let the users find out how to turn it of (if they want to use another
framebuffer driver), or should we put this option into the default
lilo.conf file so it is turned off unless the user specifies another
thing.

It is not an easy task to decide which features are usefull for everyone
and which may bother the user. I don't know what the best is. We could
put some hints about the video=driver:on/off option into the lilo.conf
template and forget the issue.

Gruss/Regards,
Eduard.
--
Es gibt drei Arten der Lüge, hat einmal George Bernard Shaw gesagt: die
gewöhnliche Lüge, die Statistik und den Wetterbericht