Re: proposal: using isolinux to boot CDs...

Erik Andersen <andersen@codepoet.org> writes:

> I was playing around earlier this week with making bootable CDs and discovered
> something I think will make the boot-floppies a lot easier for x86, perhaps
> allowing us to avoid building all the different kernel floppies we currently
> build for x86.
>
> I propose we usr the isolinux bootloader for the Debian x86 CD-ROMs.
>     http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php
>
> Isolinux is a new bootloader written by hpa and included in the latest syslinux
> package (sharing much of the syslinux code).  It is designed for use on
> ISO9660/El Torito CD-ROMs operating in "no emulation" mode, bypassing the need
> for limited space "floppy emulation" mode images...  Instead, of going through

Sounds nice for cdimages. Can you write up some code that generates a
big image with all the basics on/in it (rescue + root + drivers
basically) and generates a bootable iso with that?

No base (since its not being build by the bootfloppies [yet?]) or
further packages, just the minimum to get everything working and to
prove it works.

> the pain of forcing the various kernels to the kernels fit onto a single
> floppy, we would just create a /isolinux directory on the CD-ROM and populate
> it with an initrd file (however big that needs to be) and as many kernels as we
> want of whatever size the kernels need to be.  Then we provide a isolinux.cfg
> file (exactly the same syntax as the existing syslinux.cfg file) that allows
> people to select the kernel to boot with (with a timeout for a sane default).
> And if we want to be fancy, isolinux can even display a graphical spash
> screen...
>
> Slackware 8.0 is already using isolinux to allow people to select on boot
> whether they want ATA100 or the scsi kernel, or any of about 6 choices.
>
> I think this is something to seriously consider...  Granted, those needing to
> install exclusively from floppy (as opposed to CD-ROM) could not benefit.
> However, for the vast majority of x86 systems, this would be a big win since it
> would greatly ease the pain of finding the right kernel image needed to boot
> and install Debian,

I allways just put in the first CD or the resc1440.bin and bootet. No
problems ever finding them. :)

MfG
        Goswin