Re: E2fsprogs 1.20 released

On Fri, Jun 15, 2001 at 10:08:00AM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > > The e2fsprogs 1.21-WIP-0614 release which I just uploaded has some new
> > > configure options; if you compile it:
> >
> > > configure  --enable-elf-shlibs --disable-swapfs --disable-imager --disable-resizer --disable-debugfs '--with-ccopts=-O2 -fomit-frame-pointer'
> >
> > Gasp, I had not realized that, the 1st 1.21-WIP-0614 package doesn't
> > make use of this.

Yeah, it's a new feature I had just added in response to my finding
out about the debian bootkit needs.

> > > Would this be workable for you?
> >
> > I can have the pics libs and an e2fsck.bf binary built reduced, and
> > shipped in the e2fslibs-pic package with not much work.

One of the reasons why I added this support was to avoid needing to
build a pics library.  As I understand it, the library was just built
so you could put together a minimal .so library that had only the
modules necessary for mke2fs and e2fsck.  The configuration options
above should allow you to generate such a library directly, without
having to go through the intermediate pics library step.  It also
allowed me to be a bit more selective about which bits to include and
not include.

Finally, I believe the .so library is minimal; that is, every single
.o file included in libext2fs.so.2.4 is needed for one of mke2fs or
e2fsck, if it is compiled with the above configuration options.  If
you find some excess files still, please let me know; I'll consider
that a bug and fix it.

						- Ted