Re: rtl8139 driver for idepci woody and powerpc potato

> On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 07:07:04PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
>> > Hi Chris,
>> >
>> > I seem to be fighting the same prob here.
>> > 8139too.c is buggy.
>> > rtl8139.c can not be compiled
>> > (File Missing: linux/modversions.h)
>> >
>> > Did you receive any usefull feedback on that one??
>>
>> Well, no, not useful to me anyway. Herbert Xu said I needed kernel-headers,
>> but it didn't make sense to me because I'm not trying to build a kernel,
>> just compile the module. I know absolutely nothing about building on
>> linux.
>>
> You need the kernel headers because the driver imports kernel code into
> itself for compatibility and reduction of code duplication.
>
>> I filed Bug 100565 on the kernel-image-2.2.19-pmac package to request that
>> the compiled driver be added to the install package. It would probably help
>> for you to add your voice on that one, so they know it's not just me.
>>
> That would be nice, but Debian doesn't have a history of adding too many
> patches to the kernel.org tree in their dist.
>
> My solution is to compile the drivers seperately, and just copy it to my
> modules dir manually.  I suspect that is what you should do also.
>
> Mike

Thanks for the info. I tried downloading the kernel-headers-2.2.19 header
package with apt-get. It installed fine, but I still get the missing
modversions.h error with rtl8139, and buku errors trying to make 8139too. I
think maybe these module sources are consistent with a newer version of the
kernel than 2.2.19. I read somewhere there were module handling improvements
between 2.2 and 2.4.5.

Since you compiled your rtl8139.o on a powerpc, would it work for me to just
use insmod to install it? (Were you using 2.2 at the time?) If so, would you
be willing to send it to me in a .gz?

|  .''`.  | Debian GNU/Linux: <http://www.debian.org>            |
| : :'  : | debian-imac:    <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net> |
| `. `'`  |      . oo       Chris Tillman                        |
|   `-    |     (   -)      tillman@azstarnet.com                |