Re: base-config/00dbootstrap_settings failure

David Whedon wrote:
> slink and sid will never change, their proper names are just that, slink and
> sid.

I would argue that their proper names are "2.1" and "unstable".

> Once woody is released someone installing potato will also want that name
> to not change, it will just stay 'potato'.

Or "2.2"

> If someone is installing 'stable' let us assume that they always want to be
> stable, so when stable changes, they want to change as well.  Likewise
> installing 'testing' people want it to get updated when testing updates.

Right. And this is probably a lot more common than wanting to track a
release by name.

> This patch makes more sense if you know that there is a define WOODY_RELEASED
> that handles changing the meanings of the codenames, something like this:

> +  if (!strcmp(suite, CODENAME_STABLE))
> +      write_userconfig ("SUITE", "stable");
> +  else if (!strcmp(suite, CODENAME_TESTING))
> +      write_userconfig ("SUITE", "testing");
> +  else
> +      write_userconfig ("SUITE", suite);

This will certianly work, but I still don't understand why that code is
so fond of the release names, when with a simple change to debootstrap, it
seems it could ignore them entirely, and present the unchanging trio of
"stable, testing, unstable", with perhaps some old stuff like "Debian
2.1" and "Debian 2.2" if that is wanted.

--
see shy jo