Re: "Make boot floppy failed"

Package: boot-floppies
Version: 2.2.23

I'm turning this into a bug, cc'ing debian-boot manually since bugs.debian.org
is down at the moment.

Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 07:58:50AM -0700 wrote:
> Are there certain details I need to give to get a
> reply?

I think the only problem is we're busy and clueless :-)

>  I looked for the dbootstrap package at debian.org, but I guess it isn't one, even though the message on a virtual console is "dbootstrap: Make boot floppy failed..."

Yes, the package you want is called boot-floppies:
apt-get source boot-floppies
or
http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/boot-floppies.html
or
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/source/admin/boot-floppies_2.2.23.tar.gz

The error occurs somewhere near :

utilities/dbootstrap/bootconfig.c:93

from what you have described it looks like the failure is in here (though I
can't be sure with the info we have at the moment):

    printf(_("Formatting the floppy...\n"));
    /* We don't have (yet) 2.88 MB bootable floppy ... */
    snprintf(prtbuf, sizeof(prtbuf), BC_RUN_SFORMAT, device,
             (size > 720) ? "hd" : "dd");
    /* DO NOT USE execlog() */
    INFOMSG("formatting floppy with cmd '%s'", prtbuf);
    status = system(prtbuf);
    boxResume();
    if (status) return 1;

sounds like status is non-zero  The commands leading up to it are something like
this (the actual decive is system dependant (/dev/fd0):

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/target/lib:/target/usr/lib";
/target/usr/bin/superformat /dev/fd0 hd

It would be nice to be able to manually run superformat.

Did you see any error messages that could be coming from superformat (from the
superformat man page) :

Troubleshooting
       FDC busy, sleeping for a second
              When another program accesses a disk drive  on  the
              same  controller as the one being formatted, super­
              format has to wait until the other access  is  fin­
              ished.   If  this  happens, check whether any other
              program accesses a drive (or  whether  a  drive  is
              mounted), kill that program (or unmount the drive),
              and the format should proceed normally.

       I/O errors during verification
              Your drive may be too far out of tolerance, and you
              may  thus  need  to supply a margin parameter.  Run
              floppymeter (see section  floppymeter) to find  out
              an  appropriate  value  for this parameter, and add
              the suggested margin parameter to the command line