Re: breaking up base-config

Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 06:46:38PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > I would actually like to start with moving the password/new
> > user/shadow/md5 stuff out into passwd or some other appropriate package,
> > if Ben is willing. After that I'd be happy to unload the apt setup
> > stuff, and the rest of the list.
> >

> I'll get working on this between now and next week.

I can send you the templates (including translations) base-config uses
now, and I could even rip out the relevant code and give you a .config
script that might sorta work if that would help.

The annoying thing about the password prompting is that if you do it
cleanly and prompt for the passwords in the config script, then set them
in the postinst, there is a window where debconf writes them to disk. So
base-config does it all in the config script, and makes sure they are
never written out. Which is ugly. I don't know how you want to handle
that. Another option would be to prompt for the passwords in the
postinst.

--
see shy jo