Re: [debian-installer] Full CDROM install

On Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 01:08:45PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Le Mon, Jul 30, 2001 at 05:55:17PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog écrivait:
> > strip -R .comment -R .note, it saves about 500k on the scsi directory.
>
> Unfortunately, the stripped modules are unusable. Some useful symbols were
> removed while they shouldn't have been.
>
> We can still save a few ko (but much less) with that :
> $ strip -R .comment -R .note -g -x module.o

This is my mistake when I gave you the example. Indeed one must use
`objcopy' since strip strips also, by default, symbols (and modules are
supposed to be linked, so this is not really a great idea...).

Debug symbols can be stripped, since the debug symbol table is
not the same as the symbol table used by the linker. But I'm not quite sure
about your '-x' option. So try the following :

objcopy -g -R .comment -R note <object>

Cheers,
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org/