Re: testing with powermac/oldworld (probs in miboot, debootstrap, kernel)

On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 02:49:33PM -0800, Ethan Benson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2001 at 01:00:33PM -0500, Stephen R Marenka wrote:
> > I think I remember yellowdoglinux working on a graphical interface to
> > miboot, I wonder if anything came of it?
>
> graphical interface != useful
>
> it already has a graphical interface, its just a useless one that
> doesn't let you do anything.
>
> yellowdog doesn't use miboot either, they just require MacOS on
> oldworlds.
>
> > I believe debootstrap 0.1.10 has a workaround fix which essentially
> > includes a --force-confold to the above line. This is indeed a
> > powerpc-utils--related problem. powerpc-utils is prompting about a new
> > conffile but stdin is /dev/null, so it fails to configure.
>
> powerpc-utils should still be fixed, that diversion needs to go away.

File a bug, I guess (oops, master's down). That doesn't prevent other
packages from having conffiles that want replacement does it?

> > It would be nice to know what nvsetenv calls were made, this should be
> > in /var/log/messages (via INFOMSG). It might also be useful to have the
> > output of nvsetenv on your machine.
>
> the way nvsetenv is being called now is broken, if ofpath fails
> boot-device will be set null and the machine will fail to boot.  but
> since he booted macos it means nvsetenv was never run at all.
>
> either that or it set boot-device null and OF considers that invalid
> and reset itself to defaults.

I agree, I just updated it to use what you set in the todo thinking it
was more elegant than what I had (it was). I didn't think about ofpath
failing.

> what we should be doing is this:
>
> run ofpath, read its stdout into a variable, send its stderr to
> syslog, check its return code, if its != 0 bail.  then strip off the
> trailing newline from the ofdev variable and strcat a 0 onto it.  then
> later we call nvsetenv boot-device %s, ofdev

Feel free to jump on it. Maybe it'd be simpler to write a script and
execute it?

#!/bin/sh
set -e
ofdev=`ofpath %s`0, rootdevice 2>&1 | logger -t ofpath
nvsetenv boot-device $ofdev 2>&1 | logger -t nvsetenv

What do you think?

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>