Re: di: retriever anna/apt

Hello Glenn,

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 03:39:03PM +1000, Glenn McGrath wrote:
[strip]
> I think with proper dependency checking a small retirever (anna) could
> be made in around 50kB by integrating it into busybox, so i definetly
> think thats the best long term plan for a retriever for fetching
> installer components.

FWIW, such a tool with such a size would be great. But, just a question. If
we manage to handle the complex logic of the dependencies and so on, won't
the use of the tftp and wget provided by busybox be enough, used even in a
shell script to retrieve the packages ? I mean, one calls a script, which
invokes the installation tool to compute the dependencies, and passes back a
list of packages to download, before reinvoking the installation for the
proper installation ?

We have at the moment several tools that partly overlap for the computing of
the dependencies, even if, with the very same packages, they do not always
behave the very same way. IMHO, the logic must be handle by _one_ module,
the other ones being functionnalities added --- and easier to implement.

But YMMV.
--
Thierry LARONDE, Centre de Ressources Informatiques, Archamps - France
http://www.cri74.org/