Re: MacOS floppy creation

On Sat, May 26, 2001 at 06:09:43PM -0700, Chris Tillman wrote:
> > if you choose the GPL as the licence that would seem to be necessary.
> >

> Of course! but it sounds like you'd rather just have the text file and put
> instructions for Script Editor into the install docs.

well it depends on whether getting a .bin unpacked on the fly by
mkhybrid is doable or not.  i think a text file executable by script
editor is preferable to a binhexed binary.  consider the possibility
of booting from a MacOS CD to make the floppies, without any writable
MacOS partitions present.  (you said script editor is on the CDs as
well no? iirc it is)

> I agree completely, .sit is undesirable in any Debian mirror. When you say
> 'unpacked state', are you thinking the files would be stored on the CD in
> native Mac format with icons, resources, et al? That seems feasible on any
> HFS filesystem, CDs included.

but the first debian CD is not HFS, it is a hybrid HFS/ISO9660, so it
that it can be mounted as iso9660 under linux (the rest are pure iso).
and so that it may contain .debs.  HFS is incapable of storing debian
packages without destroying the filenames (making them uninstallable).
i think that even with the hybrid format its possible to instruct
mkhybrid to copy macbinary files into the mac native format on the CD
filesystem.  since anything needing macbinarization is useless under
linux it doesn't matter if the files are unaccessable to linux IMO.
only files that need this would be done this way.  everything else
will have no icons or mac crap as usual.

also unless its possible with mkhybrid it won't be done.  debian will
not use non-free MacOS software to build CD images.

> I think Mac executable files should be uploaded to cvs in .hqx format, and
> then just copied to ftp/http archives without any conversion. If there are
> multiple executable utilities in one place, maybe it makes sense to .tar.gz
> them all together into one file.

i think only files that REQUIRE the mac cruft should be in .hqx
format (or macbin whatever).  for BootX that means the extension, and
the application.  that does NOT include readme files and whatnot.
those do not require any macos metadata.

> But for the CDs, it seems like the build process could use macutils to
> de-binhex the compiled files to place them on the HFS half as native Mac
> applications.

no it does not work that way.  mkhybrid is instructed to extract any
macbinary files it encounters while building the .iso.  however if
this causes it to destroy root.bin then its a no go.

we are not building HFS images.   we build ISO9660 hybrid images.

the priority is GNU/Linux, not MacOS icons.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/