Re: powerpc woody bf installation status

Fri, May 11, 2001 at 01:56:34PM -0500 wrote:
> On ppc I can now get all the way to extracting base.
glad to head it :-)

> Sorry about
> breaking Sparc -- I thought I recalled seeing __KERNEL__ in at least
> <asm-i386/unaligned.h>, but it must have been my fuzzy eyes.
no biggie.

> I have a couple simple patches to commit -- hopefully tonight -- one
> fixes a build error and the other adds the pmac drivers disk to the
> dbootstrap list of known driver disks.
>
> The next major stumbling block I ran into was that pump doesn't work
> (bts# 94176). Pump has annoyed me for a number of reasons including
> bts#64092 and its kin. I think there was some discussion some time ago
> about perhaps using dhcp-client. So I hacked dhcp-client to work. It
> works very well. The downside is that dhcp-client takes up a bit more
> space than pump: 137930 (more if kernel 2.0 support is required) vs.
I don't think we need to directly support 2.0.x on boot-floppies, though if we
decide not to we should make a note in the docs that dhcp won't work if you
replace the kernel with a 2.0 serias.

> 58112.  It's easy enough to #def this into/out of dbootstrap, but not
> quite so trivial to maintain both versions of the EXTRACT files. Let me
> know if you want the patch, even if just for dbootstrap.
I've got an idea.  Why don't we use dhcp-client-udeb? It is destined for use
with debian-installer and is a bit smaller than the .deb:
ruff:davidw$ dpkg -c dhcp-client-udeb_2.0pl5-5_i386.udeb
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2001-05-11 12:38:14 ./
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2001-05-11 12:38:11 ./sbin/
-rwxr-xr-x root/root    107356 2001-05-11 12:38:11 ./sbin/dhclient
drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2001-05-11 12:38:08 ./etc/
-rwxr-xr-x root/root      5816 2001-05-11 12:38:08 ./etc/dhclient-script
ruff:davidw$

The udeb already exists in the archive, the only thing to do would be to modify
the apt magic so it looks for it. Saves us a little space, and a lot of people
complain about pump.

> That got me all the way to installing base, but that slammed to a halt
> quickly since it appears that md5sum is broken (another busybox problem?
> ppc-only? needs more research). So, I commented out the md5 check in
> debootstrap to see how much further I could go. i

I remember this one.  Are you using busybox cvs?  At the moment busybox cvs is
working, bb 0.51-1 (the current Debian package) doesn't work for a number of
reasons.

> That got me to
> mount -t proc proc /proc which failed miserably. Interestingly, /proc
> was already (successfully?) mounted. I don't see a good way to get
> around that so there it ends.
>
> I guess I'll be checking out the busybox cvs next.
oh, yes, you should be using cvs.

-David