Re: libc reduction and powerpc/apus woody boot floppies.

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 03:19:26PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 06:01:59PM +0200, Sven LUTHER wrote:
> >
> > Note : The symptoms were that init (from busybox) did not launch correctly,
> > which makes boot-floppies rather unusable on powerpc/apus right now.
>
> What exactly do you mean by "did not launch correctly"? Were there
> missing symbols? Did it segv or sigbus, or something else? Note, I

I did not test this myself, as i have not the hardware, but the report of
Giorgio Terzi is that there is no output anywhere. Err, this is not really
understandable, isn't it ?

Anyway, this is when using the busybox init to launch the boot-floppies
root.bin root image. What happens is that the kernel boots, then tries to
launch INIT (from busybox) as the parent process, and fails, without any
fursther output, not even the log on VC 3 or 4. And since the only way to go
out of that is rebooting, there is no significative log file to look trough.

Now, it seems the same init will work well when launched from the shell, not
sure though, at least dbootstrap will.

Did i get that right Giorgio ?

> testes a reduced libc with bash, and it worked fine. Perhaps something
> in busybox is broken? Maybe you are building with a different libc6-pic
> package on your system that the libc6 that is installed on
> boot-floppies?

mmm, yes, this seems like a plausible thing to me, busybox is built with the
installed libc6, but then is tried to run with the reduced one on the root.bin
root image. This would explain this.

How can we test that this is the case ? And if it is, how should we build
busybox to have it working right ? Maybe Girgio did not have the good version
of libc6 installed when building busybox, but then, this would be a
build-depend bug or something such in busybox ?

Thanks for caring,

Friendly,

Sven Luther