Trouble booting from HD

Hi,

I have installed Debian potato on a HD that formerly was running Mandrake
7.2. Mandrake wrote the MBR, and LILO was default boot manager. I had a
16MB partition on hda1 where i mounted /boot

When I installed debian potato and mounted hda1 as /boot I was told that
it was impossible to write the boot loader before cylinder 1023. I
re-partitioned hda1 and it is now 8MB, still in the first cylinders on the
disk. Installing debian and writing to MBR now seemd to work fine during
the install.

After installing debian and doing the first boot, I was told to insert a
disk into the disk-drive and boot from that. OK, I thought that something
had gone wrong and tried to fix it. Just to make sure that I had something
written to MBR, i tried using install-mbr: 'install-mbr -l /dev/hda'

The result from this command was:

Drive: 0x80
Default: D
Timeout: 18/18 seconds
Enabled: F A
Interrupt: Shift Key

Don't knowing what really to look for, all I can say is that this _looks_
to be fine by me.

This is what /etc/lilo.conf looks like:

boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/hda3
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
delay=20
vga=normal
default=Linux
image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only

I also think this is correct... All files referenced does exist. I have
also tried to run lilo several times. I even tried to run install-mbr
and trying to write to the mbr. It executed without giving any error
messages or problems.

This did not, however, solve my problems. I still have to boot from disk.

Yesterday, I tried building my first kernel (followed the recipe her:
http://www.linux.com/live/newsitem.phtml?sid=117&aid=11762 ) At the end of
compiling it, I got a question asking if I wanted to make LILO the boot
manager and linux bootable from HD (or something like that), and I
answered yes. Of course, this did not help.

Now I am wondering: Has anyone got a suggestion for how to make Linux
bootable directly from HD without needing a boot disk?

Regards,
Runar

PS I am only running Linux on my computer, no other os' are installed