Testing woody boot/install process

I've been using an evaluation copy of vmware to capture screen shots for
the GFDL release of my book, and I though I should share some of my
findings.

1. During the kernel boot a large number of error messages streams up the
screen, declaring modprobe failures. I saw this on an early version of the
last release, so this may just be something that doesn't go away until
something else is completed.

2. The install process fails to find the virtual ethernet driver in vmware
environment. I have the ne2k-pci driver installed on the host machine, so
that the vmware inteface will come up correctly, but that seems to not be
sufficient. I need to see those "configure network" screens, so I tried to
install the driver in the virtual kernel. I didn't really expect this to
work, but the error message I got from the install is not what I expected.
What is says (see attached .png screen shot) is that the ne2k-pci module
could not be found. (this may be related to the modprobe errors above) The
module _is_ in /lib/modules/..., so...

I think the only solution for the networking issue may be to have the
install look for the device created by vmware when looking for ethernet
devices. We _do_ want to be able to do such an install on vmware, don't
we?

Luck,

Dwarf