Re: debconf client support in cdebconf

David Whedon wrote:
> netcfg dropped from 2289 bytes to 2160 bytes after I replaced the strings in
> this way.
>
> The biggest savings is probably in removing the multiple uses of things like
> "netcfg/get_hostname", but it doesn't help to have 200 copies of "get" either.

Run strings on your binary before and after this change. I'll be very
suprised if you find that it contained more than one copy of "GET" at
any point. Gcc does not cause constant strings to be duplicated in the
binary. The small space savings you saw must be from somewhere else.
Probably from moving the text into the .so file?

--
see shy jo