Re: debian-installer demo system, take 2a

In reference to a message from Joey Hess, dated Dec 07:
> Here is another debian-installer demo system. It still needs a real
> debian system and doesn't chroot, nor does it even use cdebconf although
> it probably could. But it is rather more impressive than the last one:

Here's the cdebconf version :-)

samwise[21:42] demo% du -sh
276k	.

[ Not too big, I hope.... compresses to about 40k ]

samwise[21:42] demo% find
.
./var
./var/lib
./var/lib/dpkg
./var/lib/dpkg/info
./var/lib/dpkg/info/udpkg.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/main-menu.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/main-menu.postrm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/main-menu.templates
./var/lib/dpkg/info/wget-retriever.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/choose-mirror.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/choose-mirror.postrm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/choose-mirror.postinst
./var/lib/dpkg/info/anna.list
./var/lib/dpkg/info/anna.postrm
./var/lib/dpkg/info/anna.templates
./var/lib/dpkg/info/anna.postinst
./var/lib/dpkg/info/choose-mirror.templates
./var/lib/dpkg/status
./var/lib/cdebconf
./var/lib/cdebconf/templates
./var/lib/cdebconf/questions
./var/cache
./var/cache/anna
./usr
./usr/bin
./usr/bin/udpkg
./usr/bin/anna
./usr/bin/choose-mirror
./usr/bin/main-menu
./usr/bin/dpkg-reconfigure
./usr/bin/debconf
./usr/bin/debconf-loadtemplate
./usr/lib
./usr/lib/debian-installer
./usr/lib/debian-installer/retriever
./usr/lib/debian-installer/retriever/wget-retriever
./usr/lib/cdebconf
./usr/lib/cdebconf/db
./usr/lib/cdebconf/db/textdb.so
./usr/lib/cdebconf/frontend
./usr/lib/cdebconf/frontend/text.so
./usr/lib/libdebconf.so.0.1.0
./usr/lib/libdebconf.so.0.1
./usr/lib/libdebconf.so
./usr/share
./usr/share/debconf
./usr/share/debconf/confmodule
./usr/share/debconf/frontend
./etc
./etc/debconf.conf

samwise[21:43] demo% LD_LIBRARY_PATH=usr/lib usr/bin/debconf-loadtemplate \
	var/lib/dpkg/info/*.templates
samwise[21:43] demo% LD_LIBRARY_PATH=usr/lib PATH=usr/bin:$PATH \
	usr/share/debconf/frontend usr/bin/main-menu

[ using the text ui, not very polished right now, and the titles are not
  set correctly. also, it doesn't optimize away single selects like perl
  debconf does, but that's easily changed ]

Configuring main-menu
=====================

Choose the next step:
Here is the main menu of the Debian installer.

  1) Finish setting up the Debian installer
1 - 1> 1
Choose
======

Use a mirror from what country?
The goal is to find a mirror that is close to you on the network -- be
aware that near countries, or even your own, may not be the best choice.

  1) Australia
  2) Austria
  3) Belgium
  4) Brazil
  5) Britain (UK)
  6) Bulgaria
  7) Canada
  8) China
  9) Costa Rica
 10) Croatia
 11) Czech Republic
 12) Denmark
 13) Estonia
 14) Finland
 15) France
 16) Germany
 17) Greece
 18) Hong Kong
 19) Hungary
 20) Indonesia
 21) Ireland
 22) Italy
 23) Japan
 24) Korea (South)
 25) Latvia
 26) Mexico
 27) Netherlands
 28) New Zealand
 29) Norway
 30) Poland
 31) Portugal
 32) Russia
 33) Slovakia
 34) Slovenia
 35) South Africa
 36) Spain
 37) Sweden
 38) Switzerland
 39) Taiwan
 40) Turkey
 41) United States
 42) enter information manually
1 - 42 [default = 41]>
Choose
======

Choose the Debian mirror to use:
Select the mirror Debian will be downloaded from. You should select a
mirror that is close to you on the net.

  1) http.us.debian.org
  2) ftp.eecs.umich.edu
  3) llug.sep.bnl.gov
  4) ftp.debian.org
  5) ftp-mirror.internap.com
  6) debian.uchicago.edu
  7) ftp.us.debian.org
  8) debian.tod.net
  9) lyre.mit.edu
 10) mirrors.xmission.com
 11) download.sourceforge.net
 12) ftp.kernel.org
 13) sunsite.unc.edu
 14) ftp.cerias.purdue.edu
 15) debian.fifi.org
 16) mirrors.rcn.net
 17) debian.gnaps.com
 18) ftp.keystealth.org
 19) debian.bilow.com
 20) natasha.stmarytx.edu
 21) ftp.digex.net
 22) debian.lrlug.org
 23) ftp.tux.org
1 - 23 [default = 1]>

Enter http proxy information, or leave blank for none:
If you need to use a http proxy to access the outside world, enter the
proxy information here. Otherwise, leave this blank.

When entering proxy information, use the standard form of

"http://[[user][:pass]@]host[:port]/";
http://samwise.tausq.org:3128/

[ pause ... ]

Choose
======

Choose the next step:
Here is the main menu of the Debian installer.

  1) autodetection of ethernet cards
  2) Finish setting up the Debian installer
1 - 2> 1

[ ctrl - c ]

samwise[21:44] demo% find usr/bin
usr/bin
usr/bin/udpkg
usr/bin/anna
usr/bin/choose-mirror
usr/bin/main-menu
usr/bin/dpkg-reconfigure
usr/bin/debconf
usr/bin/debconf-loadtemplate
usr/bin/memdetect
usr/bin/mdmdetect
usr/bin/ethdetect
usr/bin/diskdetect
usr/bin/cpudetect
usr/bin/cddetect

demo2a can be found at:
http://people.debian.org/~tausq/debian-installer/demo2a.tar.gz

cdebconf actually also has a ncurses frontend in the works. (it
configures debconf (the perl one) even :-), but it only handles a subset
of the question types now so i've not used it in this demo run.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>
http://www.TauSq.org/