Arm bf problems - termwrap and null strings

Hello people,

I've got some Arm boot-floppies (from CVS about 10 days ago ~ 2.2.19) which
nearly work. I've fixed a couple of problems and I'll post diffs here when I
get a set that work.

Current problems are:
1) inittab.install in root/bin is the one that gets put in /etc for the
second-stage install. This runs dpkg-reconfigure with /sbin/termwrap. This
doesn't work on arm. the problem seems to be that termwrap needs a file
called /etc/environment, and that isn't present in root/bin or base.tgz. I've
worked around it by simply removing this from the inittab, and things seem
to still work, but I'm not suer what termwrap does, and thus how important it
is, or where it comes from and thus what I should do to boot-floppies to make
it create a satisfactory root/bin and base. So, what is termwrap - do I need
it, where does it comes from, why it its environment file missing...

2) dbootstrap falls over trying to set the hostname. If you kill it (so it
restarts) then it continues but /etc/hostname ends up being "(null)" 9which
caues more problems later), so I suspect a similar problem to the one below
but haven't gone into the detail yet - that's next to investigate, straight
after this mail. I just wonder if this is a prob others found which is now
fixed in CVS?

Fixed problems are: in utilities/dbootstrap/bootconfig.c. dbootsrap bombs out
with a segfault when you select 'make drive bootable'. This is because
'Arch2' is null for arm when it gets tested to see if it is 'acorn' or
'netwinder' in order to decide which message explaining why this option is
pointless to print :-). (not sure why it segfaults rather than justs prints
neither message). This is fixed in utilities/dbootstrap/main.c in
(get_arm_model which needs
    if (!strcmp(buf, "acorn-", 6)) {
changing to
    if (!strncasecmp(buf, "acorn-", 6)) {

Also I note this prob always occurs if you use bootconfig_test as the
get_arm_model fn in main is not available. This must also
be true for get_alpha_model which was already in bootconfig.c for the
_TESTING_ case, presumably someone else's optimistic attempt to get it to
work :-)

Wookey
--
Aleph One Ltd, Bottisham, CAMBRIDGE, CB5 9BA, UK  Tel (00 44) 1223 811679