Re: [VA-Debian] Comments from a first-time Debian install.....

I'm going to send this to debian-boot, it's the right place mostly and I
think everyone will appreciate these comments.

Ted, I have some comments (rather far) below, and you should know we're in
the process of rewriting the whole installer and those of us on the
debian-boot list are well aware of the problems you ran into.

Ted T'so wrote:
> [...]
> Microsoft Wizards are appreciated by novice users; Debian should take
> advantage of their millions spent in UI research.
>
> Another UI point.  With three choices in the first few screens, it
> will make it much more obvious which button is selected.  Because the
> background around each dialog box is blue, with blue meaning
> "highlighted" and "red" meaning not highlighted", it's not clear which
> is which.  For a while I thought "red" meant highlighted....
>
> I won't go into the X versus non-X installation, since there are some
> real tradeoffs here, except to say that this kind of "warm and fuzzy"
> thing certainly makes a difference with novice users.
>
> The first time I did an initial install, PCMCIA was not configured
> properly.  I have a Vaio 505TX, and this kind of PCMCIA CD-ROM install
> has been problematic before with other distributions.  It was able to
> boot from the PCMCIA CD-ROM; that part worked fine.  However, it
> bombed out trying to find the kernel and modules.  I tried for a
> while, but it appears there's no way to support that directly from the
> CD-ROM given my hardware configuration.  So I booted back into
> Windows, created a scratch partition, and copied the entire Debian
> Potato 2.2 Binary-i386 R0 CD-ROM into that scratch partition and then
> tried again.
>
> The second time I tried, I was able to load the kernel modules.  This
> screen here really needs simplifying.  There's no reason to make the
> user decide which modules should be loaded on a full system at such an
> early point in the install.  Regardless of where you fall on the
> "modules should be dynamically loaded" versus the "modules should be
> statically loaded at boot-time" argument, at the initial install time
> only those modules which are desperately needed to install the system
> should be asked for.  If nothing else, deferring this means that the
> installation system may have more resources at its disposal to provide
> a more friendly interface to the user.
>
> On this second install attempt, for some reason PCMCIA wasn't happy.  I
> did try to configure it, but it failed for some mysterious reason.  It
> didn't give any clear indication that PCMCIA had failed until later,
> when the second install bombed out and I started investigating...
> However, because it bombed out, it wasn't able to find the CD-ROM
> automatically.  So the system went into what I later discovered was
> apt-setup, where one of the questions it asked me was whether I wanted
> the non-free software or not.  I said yes, but given that CD-1 (which I
> had copied onto a spare partition) doesn't have non-free software, the
> debian configuration system bombed out that that point ---- no obvious
> way of restarting it, and nothing on the system except the base system.
> I fiddled with it a while, and finally decided I was wasting my time, so
> I rebooted the system, and reinstalled a third time, blowing away
> everything from the 2nd try installation.

I suppose you told apt-setup to use a mounted filesystem as its access
method?

Apt-setup should be more robust than that -- it should notice apt has
failed and tell you and let you correct it. I'd like to try to reproduce
this problem.

> On the third install attempt, PCMCIA did come up correctly, so it
> automatically found and asked me to insert each of the CD-ROM's one at
> a time.  That part worked well.  Then I was asked to select a number
> of task packages, which also was fairly easy (although for a novice
> user, still probably more detail that they would find comfortable.)
> And at the end of it, I finally a minimal, stable Debian 2.2 system.
>
> Not bad, but there's no way in heck a novice user would have been able
> to have gotten this install to work.....
>

> Other Random Assorted Problems
> ================================
>

> AnXious set asked me for which server to use.  However, then when the
> various X servers were installed, it said "no X server previously
> selected; use this one?" when it loaded the SVGA server.  (That's
> sloppy, from a UI perspective --- the user will say, "I answered this
> already!  Why are you bothering me again?".)  It also then installed
> the VGA16 server, and asked the "should I use this X server" question.
> (Why did it even bother to install VGA16 server?  Oh, well.)

This will be fixed in the next release.

> Networking was not set up automatically for me.  The fact that I was
> using a laptop with a PCMCIA networking card may have caused this; I
> don't know if a system with a hard-wired networking card would have
> fared better.  I'm surprised that some kind of dhcp client isn't
> suggested by task-laptop.

There is a dhcp client in the installer itself, and it's supposed to ask
you about using dhcp when you set up the network.

pump is installed on the base system too.

> As a Linux expert, lots of packages I take for granted aren't
> installed.  For example, I had to manually apt-get gpm and strace.
> (Or if there was a magical task package that would have found them, it
> wasn't obvious from the install.)  That's fine if the machine is on
> the network, but it gets tiresome pretty quickly if you're not on the
> network (or you're fighting to get on the network and you need why
> various networking tools are failing....)

> apt-setup seems to have a wierd bug.  If you answer "no" to the non-free
> question, it doesn't ask you about whether or not you want the contrib
> software; but if you say yes, it will ask you about contrib software.
> That doesn't seem to follow.....

That is completly by design; contrib is mostly not installable if you
don't have non-free available too.