Re: hardware detection using libpci

David Whedon wrote:
> I made a new version of ddetect with a few changes, even if we don't
> go the libdetect way it was instructive to figure out how to make
> multiple .udebs conviennently.
>
> I'm now generating 2 udebs which each provide the virtual package
> [sound|ethernet]-card-detection:
> snddetect_0.0.5_i386.udeb
> ethdetect_0.0.5_i386.udeb

I understand that is just an example, we do not need sound detection in
the installer.

I'm more interested in the array of other debs you have there now,
including cd and disk detection. Good work. I'm going to get you commit
access.

I still like Glenn's approach of using PCI ID's not names though.

> We want udebs to be small. Therefore they shouldn't contain anything more
> than the bare minimum to accomplish their function. This is against
> policy (no manpage, copyright, etc.).  For this example
> the .udebs contain very little:
> $ dpkg -c snddetect_0.0.5_i386.udeb
> drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2000-11-14 20:38:59 ./
> drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2000-11-14 20:38:58 ./usr/
> drwxr-xr-x root/root         0 2000-11-14 20:38:59 ./usr/bin/
> -rwxr-xr-x root/root     26460 2000-11-14 20:38:59 ./usr/bin/snddetect
>
> Documentation, copyrights etc. will be in another udeb.

Actually, don't worry about putting the docs and copyrights in any udeb.
If you make a deb for your stuff too, put it in there or course.
Otherwise, make sure it is in the source package.

> The .udebs can be found at:
> http://www.gordian.com/users/davidw/debian.html

They all work for me except sndetect (ISA soundblaster) and mdmdetect
(ISA modem).

--
see shy jo