Re: Setting up a debian archive

Just get all files from some ftp mirror, from the debian directory and down,
and copy them to your harddisk. You'll need some 10-20GB for that.
But if you just want to do new i386 installs with the stable
release (potato) you can skip the following directories (assuming you are
standing in the debian directory):

  dists/sid            (for unreleased architectures I think i was)
  dists/woody          (the next release which is not released yet)
  dists/*/*/binary-xxx (where xxx != i386 or your preferred arch)
  dists/*/*/dists-xxx  (where xxx != i386 or your preferred arch)
  dists/*/*/upgrade-*  (for upgrades)
  dists/*/*/source     (unless you want the source code as well)
  project              (I don't think you'll need that stuff)

That will leave you with, hmm:

$ find . -type f | egrep -v './dists/(sid|woody)' |
> egrep -v '/source/|/upgrade-|/project' |
> egrep -v '(disks|binary)-(alpha|arm|m68|powerpc|sparc)' > ~/lst
$ wc -l ~/lst
   5882 /home/karl/lst
$ cat ~/lst  | xargs ls -l | cut -b31-42 |
> perl -e '$s=0; while(<>) { $s+=$_;} print "$s\n";'
2696193910

about 6000 files (plus links and directories) and less than 3GB disk space.
A little to much to download from the internet unless you have a very good
connection. But easily handled with CD-roms or tapes. If you take
the officially released i386 cd's and simply copy their contents to a
directory named debian somewhere on your disk, you'll be set.

If you don't want the complete i386 (or other arch) thing, well then I
cannot help you.

Regards,
/Karl

Karl Hammar                    Aspö Data           karl@kalle.csb.ki.se
Lilla Aspö 2340             +46  173 140 57                    Networks
S-742 94 Östhammar         +46  70 511 97 84                  Computers
Sweden                                                       Consulting