Re: busybox in main

Glenn McGrath wrote:
> My personal opinion is that Joey is trying to make a compromise by
> having a seperate area for installer packages, but as far as i know the
> installer team has no idea whatsoever if or when there will be a
> seperate area to put installer specific modules.

Allright, let me clear some of this up. We had a conversation with James
Troup last week in irc about this, and I was going to write it up, but
my move interveined. Here's what I remember:

* We agreed that it makes sense to have a special directory for the
  debian-installer binaries. There is a close parallell to the
  disks-<arch> directories that are used for the boot floppies, and we
  might use a subdirectory of them, or some other directory name, it
  doesn;t really matter.
* Our little directory will have its own Packages file. I want this,
  because retreivers should be able to use a Packages file that have
  only relevant debian-install-specific package (modules) in it.
* Uploading files and getting them into such a special-purpose little
  directory rather than having them auto-processed requires marking them
  as "byhand" in the .changes file.
* We don't really want to overload the ftp maintainers with a lot of
  byhand uploads, so it would be nice to automate that.
* James is confident that as soon as the archive begins using the
  package pool stuff he wrote, he can easily make his replacement for
  dinstall handle our byhand packes aytomatically or something, and
  update our Packages file too. (The current dinstall could do it too,
  I'm sure, but at least James understands the code to the new one..)
* Because of some objections by Adam Heath that he doesn't want to see
  .debs uploaded to the archive, even if it's to a hidden away corner
  that's not aptable, we decided to use the extention ".udeb" for debian
  installer modules. It will probably make James's code easier anyway,
  and it's not much harder to build fdebs with a different extention,
  and most tools will work fine no matter that the filename is.
* None of this has mentioned where sources go. Sources go into the MAIN
  archive. Some sources (like busybox, ash, etc), will generate .deb's and
  .udeb's. Others won't generate any .debs, but this is ok.

--
see shy jo