Re: the next step

On Fri Oct 20, 2000 at 02:24:59PM -0700, Karl M. Hegbloom wrote:

>     Erik> At Lineo (where I work) we have a tool called "Lipo" (written in perl) that
>     Erik> does the library reduction thing, and we have it working quite nicely on a
>     Erik> number of platforms.
>
>  Can we use it?

I just checked, and it looks like lipo is not being released for free
(obligitory mumble).  It does some very complex and interesting stuff though.

Regardless, to fix up the current mklibs.sh so it can at least work properly
cross platform it really just needs platform specific symbol kludge lists.
I.e. test on powerpc.  Doesn't work, but prints out "missing symbol _foo".
_foo goes into the powerpc symbol kludge list.  Iterate till it works, then
pick a new platform to fix.

>     Erik> I don't think uclibc is quite ready for use by the boot floppies -- but I think
>     Erik> it will be ready before the woody release.  One thing that may need some
>     Erik> attention is arch support (such as Alpha or UltraSparc).
>
>  Is it in CVS where we can pull it out as an included module or a side
>  tree?  Can you create a patch-queue like I mentioned previously?

My ucLibc source tree lives at:
    http://opensource.lineo.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb/uC-libc/
directions for anon cvs access is at
    http://opensource.lineo.com/cvs_anon.html

The syscall layer is in a state of flux at the moment -- starting late last
night I began converting from asm syscall invocations to c ones, which makes
my life a lot easier and makes it much easier to port to new architectures.

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org