Re: libfdisk with sgilabelsupport

heinold@physik.tu-cottbus.de (H.Heinold) writes:

> I am trying to get "boot-floppies" to work for the mips(mostly SGI).
> The goal is to get the debian installtion working on mips/el.
> As far as I know there are no floppies for such computers,
> but we can link the root.bin with kernel and booting the machines
> via tftp.
>
> I started with the cvs bootfloppies for potato from the weekend.
> Problems that I solved.
>
> -the only stable glibc for mips/el is 2.0.6, but I got busybox
> compiled with some hacking

Ouch.  Well, this is for woody, right?  We'll be hopefully using an
updated busybox package which will be right in main, so porting
efforts on that can go right to the upstream maintinaer and not
managed by us.

> -build the root.bin but without dboostrap and busybox

Why do you need to do this?  Are you following the same means used by
TFTP booting on sparc and ppc ?

> Problems I not solved.
>
> -get dboostrap compiled

> problem is that libfdisk has no support
> for the sgidislabel. I started to included it, but I am not
> a good coder. I used the sundisklabel as example and the sourcecode from
> fdis, included the spec-variables, do the checksum and stucked.
> As I know libfdisk is to get the partions from the disk.

Oy, this is another bit I would hope would could fold out, but I don't
know if that's practical given our time constraints.

There are lots of little changes thru out *.sh and dbootstrap also
which will need to know about mips.

> I hope some can helpme or include the last routines. My work can
> be retriev at
> http://www.physik.tu-cottbus.de/users/heinold/libfdisknew.tar.bz2

You'd have to talk to the MIPS porters I think.  We don't have any
particular MIPS or SGI disklabel expertise I think.

Are you working from CVS?

Are you trying to work pretty cleanly so that we can patch in your
changes once we've branched off potato and start on woody?