Re: woody, boot-floppies, and debian-installer projected readiness

Joey Hess wrote:

> * main-menu is 90% done, and will be finished by the end of this week
> * udpkg is 97% done
> * udebconf ??

Randolph has started this,
http://auric.debian.org/~tausq/cdebconf-0.10.tgz

> * modules to set up network, partition hard disk, download modules, set
>   up swap, format the disk, install the base system, and set up lilo are
<insert grubworship statment here>
>   not started at all

Ive had a look at partitioning with parted, i made a small program that
showed partition and drive details, and chopped up libparted manually to
only include functions needed, and that was relatively only 20 KB or so,
but when i started adding extra functionality from libparted to add and
remove partitions it started getting heaps bigger and more complex.

I tried using mklibs on libparted but it only reduced it by 30KB (was
still over 200KB if i remember correctly), maybe i wasnt using mklibs.sh
properly, or libparted was a proper PIC file or something... how do you
make a PIC file anyway, is it something to do with ther -fPIC compiler
option, or is it more than that ?

Anyway, i think we would be best of using the libfdisk that is currently
used, if we want to support resizing of partitions, reiserfs, lvm, raid
and other cool stuff then that can be provided by seperate binaries (or
installer modules).

I was hoping libparted might be an easy all in one solution, but its too
big without being split up, and it didnt come apart as nicely for me,
plus its only said to work on a few archs anyway.

Glenn