Notes on test of 2.2.18-2000-10-14

I just tested the above build of the boot-floppies with my Laptop and I
works better than with the original boot floppies. (They had a PCMCIA-CS
Version with didn´t work with my pcnet card.)

1.) Boot screen (where you can boot "rescue") says it uses kernel
    2.2.17, instead of 2.2.18preX. Just cosmetic.
2.) I recognized, that ide-floppy is build as an module. I have a LS 120
    in on off my computers (ATAPI Floppy) and I originally wanted to
    throw the old floppy out. I would recomend to build the driver into
    the kernel, because you can get your drivers file from a IDE Floppy
    then... Well I had to build it for myself, so at least until now I
    still had to create my disc for myself and if I can do that, I also
    can build my own kernel. (Cosmetic, at the moment)
3.) I looks like the modules Section is sorted after 2.2.x module´s
    naming scheme. If not, it would be nice to get Sound and Multimedia
    out of Misc. But if it is based on the modules path, it will be
    sorted out with 2.4. (cosmetic)
4.) Under modules there is a section "video - video4linux...". This is
    wrong. All Video4Linux Stuff is under misc (bttv, v4l, etc). In the
    video part there are Framebuffer modules! (cosmetic)
5.) I tried to create a boot floppy and it didn´t worked out, because my
    disc was read-only. I got the following message: "[...] put it in
    the first dr". I don´t know why, but the text seems to be truncated.
    (again just cosmetic)
6.) After I rebooted I got a lot of messages just saying:
    "Template does not contain a Template: line at
    /usr/lib/perl5/Debian/DebConf/Template.pm line 66, <TEMPLATE_IN>
    chunk 1371.". I could log in on the other terminal, but
    dpkg-reconfigure base-config just got me that message again. And
    yes, I used base_2.2 from $SUBJECT´s build.

Today (when I get up again ;)) I will try the boot floppies with my dual
PIII.

	Bye,
	  - -- Alain -- -