Re: Unidentified subject!

On Fri Oct 13, 2000 at 11:14:14PM -0400, Adam Di Carlo wrote:

> Talking to the release manager, Anthony Towns, in IRC, I learned it is
> his current plan to freeze woody early in January 2001.
>
> I think this is a laudable goal, but unfortunately I think that means
> we need to retain the boot-floppies for woody.

Hmm.  Have you discussed this with Joey Hess yet?  Joey, thoughts?

> What does this mean?  It means I'm going to branch in CVS for potato
> maintenance in early November so that we can go into woody freeze with
> working boot-floppies.  I know we need a new busybox and I would
> rather get that in sooner rather than later (but for Woody only, not
> Potato).  Erik, I wouldn't mind your opinion on whether we can use
> your busybox pkg or instead should just bite the bullet and update
> CVS.

I would prefer using a busybox package.  Otherwise, I will again end up with
the painful task of keeping two CVS trees in sync...  The busybox package has
been ready to upload for months, but thus far noone has pursued getting the new
"installer" section added to the archive.

Of course, if we go to the bother of making an "installer" archive section, I
also think it would be very beneficial if we were to break much of the current
content of the boot floppies tree into separate packages.  Right now when
someone reports a critical bug, the entire boot floppies have to be rebuilt.
Not an especially robust process.   There would be a lot less possibility for
breakage if dbootstrap was a standalone package.  I think scripts/rootdisk and
the other things under scipts should be standalone packages as well.  All of
the PACKAGES_<foo> and PARTIAL_PACKAGES_<bar> files are recreating what debian
packages do fairly naturally using the debian/rules file.  I do not think it
would be too much to ask the folks that maintain packages such as ash, pump,
etc to add and additional package for the "installer" section...

Hmm.  This is starting to sound like what you just just said we don't have time
to do...  :-)  Still I think this is a doable task within the timeframe and
would be an incremental step toward a new installer (just replace the
dbootstrap package).

 -Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   email:  andersee@debian.org