Re: zen and debconf

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 02:53:28PM +1100, Glenn McGrath wrote:
> Ben Collins wrote:
> >
> > > If we are going to do anything fancy in our UI we could allow packages
> > > to use there own html code to present there questions rather than
> > > building a web page for them, this would add a large degree of
> > > flexibility which i think is needed.
> >
> > The whole idea of debconf is to disconnect packages from the configuration
> > frontend details. If we start asking them to produce HTML, we might as
> > well ditch debconf and let them handle everything internally.
> >

> We shouldnt force them to use html, we could do the same thing the
> current debconf does when it target a web browser (i have to confess i
> havent tried it though)

Check it out, it does have flexibility. You can group several questions
together in a block, which can all be presented to the user on a single
webpage. The block is set by the package, and is transparent to the UI
being used (I think the GTK frontend also used to use it).

I think joey says it needs work, but needing "work" is better then needing
"development". An interface is there, it just needs to be used and
tweaked.

BTW, I like your idea, but I'm just afraid if we aren't careful, it will
lead to a ggi type conundrum, where we have layers and layers of frontends
all implementing each other. I want to avoid that by design.