Re: redesigning the debian installer

> Massimo Dal Zotto wrote:
> > But if you want for example to install many similar machine from a cdrom
> > how can you specify which machine (hostname, ip, etc.) you are installing
> > without any prompting?
>
> DHCP

This works if you have a network and a DHCP server. What if you have
only the cdrom? Home users usually don't have a server machine.
DHCP is ok but we must support all possibilities.

> (Buit I have no problem with allowing an automatic installation to be
> started manually. Another thing to keep in mind is that it would be
> possible to make the debconf db provided for an automatica installation
> include answers to every question _except_ the hostname. Then the
> install is automatic except you get to walk around and enter the
> hostname or whatever.)

This is exactly what I had in mind and what did my old installer. Any
important variable not stored in the db is asked interactively. The next
step is to store also these questions in machine specific profiles and
have a fully automatic installation.

This approach could be used also to implement a `newbie' installation
that asks only the essential things and installs a standard system.

--
Massimo Dal Zotto

|  Massimo Dal Zotto               email: dz@cs.unitn.it               |
|  Via Marconi, 141                phone: ++39-0461534251              |
|  38057 Pergine Valsugana (TN)      www: http://www.cs.unitn.it/~dz/  |
|  Italy                             pgp: see my www home page         |