Re: loony lilo looping

Thank you for your help.  I actually have received warnings when running
lilo "... Drive 0x83 may be inaccessable.." but have always received them
so ignored them since they never gave me any problems before.  The system
actually has 4 disks in it.  2 IDE (800 and 4.3 Gig, the latter not known
to the BIOS) and 2 SCSI Disks.  Lilo was installed in the MBR of the 1st
disk but /, /usr, /home, and /tmp are all on the second SCSI disks.  (/
and /boot are on the same partition).  The kernel was installed on the 2nd
SCSI disk.

After reading your mail, I think that the lilo problem is caused by the
fact that when I've been running it, it has been off the installation
disk.  All the physical drives are mounted in the /target directory.  So
it's creating a bad map file as you suggested.  But this is interesting
since back in April I replaced the kernel and remember having to boot off
the installation disk and run lilo.  I didn't think that there were any
problems, although my memory of the incident may be not so exact.

I actually had suspected a bad file but there didn't appear to be any
backups available.  (and replacing the boot.xxyy didn't help).  But
this is good as I know where to head to get this resolved.  Thank you
again for your help.

-Malcolm