Re: Installing into DOS partition

Moin!

Maisenbacher Matthias (K3/EMW4) * wrote:
> > > First try: umsdos
> > You'll need to supply more information.  What is failing with
> > umsdos.o?
> Don't remember anymore. Its working now. Don't ask why :-(

This way I can't work on its support...

Tell me more about umsdos, which commands are required to set it
up on a second console?  I don't have dos flying around so I'll
have to do everything under Linux.  Assume I have a blank dos
partition (mkdosfs).  What are the next steps.

> > Once you're able to mount, mount it on /target, the install routine
> > will accept that later.
> Yes, it does so.
>
> And here comes the real problem:
>
> The install routine will (given c:\ is mounted at /target) build
> c:\etc, c:\bin, c:\sbin... instead of c:\linux\etc, c:\linux\bin....
> which is a must for using it as root filesystem.
>
> (Ok, I could circumvent this with something like:
> mount -t umsdos /dev/hdxy /top
> ln -s /top/linux /target)

Until now I thought that if umsdos was used and \LINUX\ should be used
as umsdos path, it gets mapped transparently and you won't have to fiddle
with \LINUX\ unless you enter the /orig path or something like that.

> How did you solve this problem? (If you really did install, of course)

I haven't installed Debian on umsdos yet.  I installed it into a
file /dev/hdb1:/file, 300MB large.

> And - of course - it doesn't build the '--linux.---' files and
> doesn't run umssync in order to fill them up correctly.

Are you *sure* that you did you the umsdos driver and not the msdos
driver?  What you explain looks like dos-fat and not umsdos.

Speaking of umssync: Is that program in the root fs?  I don't think
so...

> > > Second try: loop file system
> > >    No modules needed, but same problem with mount.
> > I installed potato into a file using loop (mount -o loop
> > /mnt/file /target)
> > today, so this works, proven.
> Again, (quite sure having used the right syntax before) it now works :-(
>
> But like with umsdos, here comes the real problem:
>
> In order to create my filesystem i should use
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/linux bs=1k count=100k
> mke2fs /mnt/linux
>
> -> of which the second gives me an:
> error in loading shared library /lib/libext2fs.so.2
> symbol __divdi3
> version GLIBC_2.0 not defined in file libc.so.6 with link time reference

I've spent four days on fixing this, no luck.  You're invited to
develop the real fix.  We went that far that symbols are in libraries
where we didn't expect them... Doesn't help since the symbol is not
on the rootfs.

> In case of umsdos i stuck with
> the umssync problem. Maybe I could save this with one of these
> mini-linux-on-one-floppy which contains umssync.

You can *always* switch to the 2nd console, mount the floppy, copy
a file from there to /target/sbin and run it.

> I tried tomsrtbt but this missed umsdos support.

umsdos is not very common these days...

> Therefore:
> Any ideas to solve the umssync problem without a mini distribution?

Need more input.  At the moment I'm willing to spend some time on it.

Regards,

	Joey

--
This is Linux Country.  On a quiet night, you can hear Windows reboot.
Oldenburger LinuxTag 2000                 http://oldenburger.linuxtage.de/