This used to work, honest!

Very strange.

My IBM IntelliStation M-Pro has an internal EIDE 6gig disk with NT on it. It
also has an on-board Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adaptor. 4 external SCSI
disks are attached to channel B. Two of those disks are formatted NTFS. I
installed Debian potato on the other two ext2fs formatted disks a couple of days
ago. I also installed a bunch of packages using various "tasks". So Debian was
up and seemed fine.

Since the other OS is NT, I proceeded to follow the instructions on how to
multi-boot under NT. The last thing I did in Debian was to run lilo to make a
boot image on /dev/sdc1, my Linux root drive. I suppose this wrote the MBR on
/dev/sdc, but that is not the boot device, so it should be benign. And in any
case, Debian was booting fine before I wrote any kind of MBR at all on /dev/sdc.
Since I was paranoid about confusing the NT boot loader, I have only been
booting from floppies. But ever since that session with lilo (and some hardware
changes, see below), I cannot boot from floppies. Both the boot disk I made
during installation and the original rescue floppy I made with rawrite2 will not
boot. Both kernels hang at the same point:

(scsi0) <Adaptec AIC-7895 Ultra SCSI host adapter> found at PCI 0/3/1
(scsi0) Wide Channel B, SCSI ID=7, 32/255 SCBs
(scsi0) Downloading sequencer code... 383 instructions downloaded

Then the machine hangs. The kernel is 2.2.15-compact.

The other thing I did immediately after making the lilo boot image was to remove
all other PCI cards from the system and change the video card to an SiS 6326,
and then an ATI Rage 128. I switched to an ATI card because the SiS card hung
under NT. The reason for the hardware switch was because I realized that the
video card I had been using was proprietary and not supported under X. I also
thought it would be a good idea to remove other hardware that I would not be
needing. So, sorry to say, two variables changed at once.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what is causing the current boot sequence to
hang?

This used to work, honest!

regards.
-jim