Re: 2.2.16?

Randolph Chung wrote:
>   modprobe: modprobe: Can't open dependencies file
>   /lib/modules/2.2.17/modules.dep (No such file or directory)
>
> I would have sworn we have seen this before and fixed it. It has something
> to do with kmod or something.... someone on irc reported that booting with
> init=/bin/sh still causes this message to show up, so it's probably not init
> related. Have we changed anything recently that might cause this?
> imo this needs to be fixed before we release 2.2.16

I have seen the problem before. In fact, I wrestled with it when I was
creating the boot-floppies build for slink and a half, and so was
updating the boot-floppies to work with the 2.2 kernel. IIRC, the
problem is that something in the boot sequence makes kmod try to load a
module, and it cannot.

My nasty workaround was to insert code early in the boot to disable
kmod. Randolph and I have dug around, and this used to be done in
dbootstrap, and is now does as the first thing in /etc/init.d/rcS.

Something is trying to load modules before that, and I have no idea
what. It is quite possible it's always happening and the submitter
just had a slow enough machine to see it. :-/

I guess it's also possible that this line is not disabling kmod, but I
can't see how.

  echo "/bin/true" >/proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

>  64371 Smart Array RAID Compaq do not see at boot
>
> I don't think this is RC, and would tend to suggest downgrading it.

Agreed.

--
see shy jo