Re: [woody,debinst] Interim filesystem

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000, bug1 wrote:
> Bruce Sass wrote:
> > On Sun, 18 Jun 2000, bug1 wrote:
> > > How and Interim filesystem might work (as i see it)
> >
> > Why have an interim fs?
>
> 1) To get around any space limitations presented by the boot medium, or
> ramdisk.
> 	It is delaying the partitioning process till later on after we have
> lots on space available to us.
> 	There are lots of different things we can consider doing if space isnt
> the primary limitation.

What is the advantage to delaying partitioning, get it out of the way
fast and you have the whole harddrive to play with.

I was thinking of a monolithic installer core, modularized like the
kernel is for `maybe needed' functions... very small footprint, maybe
even totally in memory.

> 2) It adds a seperation layer between what we are installing from and
> what we are installing to.
>
> 	To enable non linux installs, e.g. Debian/Hurd (or Debian/bsd, or
> Debian/plan9 if they eventuate)

Hopefully the installer will not be Linux specific.  i.e., one could use
it to install Hurd, etc., just by having the proper modules available.

> 	For all those cases the interrim filesystem would always be Linux, and
> the linux interim filessytem would provide what is needed to install and
> configure the local hardware (partitioning etc), the final os kernel and
> then can just be copied across and activated on reboot.
>
> 	It adds a seperation layer between what we are installing from and what
> we are installing to.

I'm not sure why that is a good thing.

> Was i convicing ?

No, but don't sweat it, I may just have strange ideas about...  :)

later,

	Bruce