Re: [woody,debinst] Interim filesystem

Some very interesting ideas, the loop mounted raid is a neat trick.

bug1 wrote:
> Case 2 : TRADITIONAL : This is the traditional method used, it requires
> partitioning prior to setting up any nonram filesystems, if this method
> is taken there aren't really any advantages to an interim filesystem.
> 	This method placer large limitations on space for the initial boot
> media which in turn limit the functionality of the install.

What I'm worried about is we sometimes have to hit case 2. Not enough
memory for case 1, no networking for case 3, the possible reasons you
listed for case 4 (and no CD for the case 5 you forgot: mounting the
interim filesystem from CD)

If we're stuck supporting case 2, we have to implement it. If we've
implemented it, I don't see the benefit in implementing all the other
cases as well, since case 2 can be used in place of any of them. I'd rather
just implement it well, and minimize the limitations it places on us. Which
is basically what my design has tried to do. I think I've pretty well
worked around the space limitation.

--
see shy jo