Re: Mass install / Autoinstall (Was: Re: Debian vs Red Hat??? I need info.)

Most of the answers I've been getting on this subject seem like total
hacks, which may work but really are tricks to doing this.  I was really
looking for something within debian that's built to do "kickstart" type
installations.

Although what you suggest may work, it leave little flexibility between
machines and also takes a lot more work then I was hoping to do.

For example, I have 20 machines at a co location I need to go install.
Right now with Red Hat I can take my laptop, slap a floppy in each
machine, turn 'em on, 5 minutes later I have 20 fully configured machines
ready to rock.  Also if I use DHCP and place my kick start config file on
the server, I could literally have 20 different configurations for each
machine and never have to touch a key.  This is a part of Red Hat, no
tricks have to be done, all you need is a proper ks.cfg file and a central
place where the distro comes from, usually over nfs for convenience.  YOu
can't beat that when doing large installations.  To do what I need to do
in Debian seems that it would take a very long time, even hours, which is
not fun if you've ever spent time at a co location.

It seems a lot of Debian users are developers and in this case I'm sure
Debian is perfect, but Red Hat's kickstart allows me to see my wife at
night (not really, but you know what I mean).

-jeremy

--

http://www.xxedgexx.com | jeremy@xxedgexx.com