Re: Static apt for upgrading old Debian releases?

Since I didn't hear anything, it seems that there are at least no big
objections... ;-)

So I went ahead and grabbed 0.3.18 source from frozen and did some ugly
kludging. Result: I now have all apt-things statically linked. Available at
  http://panic.et.tudelft.nl/~costar/apt-static/

I didn't yet test this thing. Volunteers please!

Question: now all apt-things are static, but... does apt-* need dpkg(-*)
for any purpose????

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer

PS: My terrible but working kludges:

buildlib/library.mak: after "# The binary build rule", add:
        ar rc /tmp/libapt-pkg.a \
           $(filter %.opic,$^) \
           $($(@F)-SLIBS)
        ranlib /tmp/libapt-pkg.a

cmdline/makefile: add "-static -L/tmp" to every SLIBS line, so mostly
  SLIBS = -lapt-pkg -static -L/tmp

Also in methods/makefile for all methods.

(And some mods to debian/control: Depends: empty & static indication)

Note: docs didn't build properly (missing some devel pkgs), simply
touch-ing them helped ;-)