Re: Testing the new boot floppies

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 02:53:07PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> Dale Scheetz wrote:
> > The PPP option is never set in /root/dbootstrap_settings (I've looked a
> > couple of times at your previous directions)
> >
> > I don't know what the "something" is that dbootstrap wants either. If you
> > don't install the Ethernet driver for your card, the network configuration
> > complains. In the previous release, after declaring a host name, you were
> > asked if you were on a network, and told to answer no if you were going to
> > use the PPP connection method. This question is never asked. PPP is never
> > mentioned in any of the install screens that I have seen, so I don't know
> > where, or what you would click to make this flag be set.
>
> Ok. If there's someone who knows how this is supposed to work, could you
> please speak up?
>
> If nobody knowns, I'm going to go read the relevant parts of dbootstrap,
> and if I can't figure them out, I may just make base-config _always_
> prompt about whether ppp should be used.

In slink, the way it worked was very simple.

During the dbootstrap run, a question was asked "Is your system on a
network, say no if you plan on installing via ppp?". By answering no,
a file '/target/root/ppp' was created.

After the first reboot, the setup script checked for the presence of
'/root/ppp' and if present, asked the user if they wanted to run pppconfig.

The network setup logic in dbootstrap is now completely different.
Someone needs to revisit it and redo the logic.

If you don't want a network, then set the PPP option in /root/dbootstarp_settings
then base-config can ask the pppconfig question?

		Greg