boot floppies 2.2.8 catch 22

I've just been trying these newest boot floppies on an old 486.

It has 8 meg of memory and 500 meg of disk space yet to partition.

The install.en.txt file says that 4 meg is enough. This is wrong.

The function key help on the rescue floppy indicates that 8 meg is enough
if you have swap space. However, even if I has a swap partition created on
the HD, how would I get it mounted in time to do any good? More to the
point, how can I make a swap partition before I boot up the rescue kernel
and its file system?

Needless to say, when I put the root file system floppy in to be read, the
system gets a little ways before it says:

init started: BusyBox ....
Sorry, your computer does not have enough memory.

So, I've got to go back to Slink to install Debian on this machine? This
isn't going to please somebody ;-)

I'll be trying this out on a bigger machine shortly.

Waiting is,

Dwarf