Installation Manual

I have now gone over the installation manual (x86 v 2.2.7 11-feb-00) in
detail, and have lots of line-edits and ideas for restructuring.  I am not
promising I have the time to do something useful, but I'm warming up.  So I
have a couple of questions.

1) The page references are almost all wrong, mostly in the same way.  Given
a reference to a section (e.g., 7.25 at the very end of ch 7) the page
number is the initial page of the chapter.  I assume this reflects some
systematic problem with the document preparation tools, rather than this
particular document.  Is there any prospect of this being fixed? (I have
already filed a bug about some of the specific bad page references: 53565)

2) I am running under NT at the moment, though I do have CVS and other
unixy things.  Is this sufficient to get a hold of the necessary document
source?  (And where is that?)

3) I am not any kind of registered debian developer.  Will that prevent
access to the source?  (In particular, I gather the source is part of the
boot-floppies package, which I know I could get--except I'm not running
debian).

I do not particularly want *write* access; I would rather make some changes
and submit them to someone (who?).

I am not up on the debian document standards or DTD, and am counting on the
existing installation source to be my guide.  The one area this might be
dicey is that I think a table or two would be very helpful, and I don't
know if or how those are supported; the current doc doesn't have any (at
least the pdf version I saw didn't).

Finally, there are many of substantive questions for which I do not have
answers:
* questions about mixing and matching different flavors and media (though
I'm beginning to get a sense of it)
* what are the different flavors?  that is what do they mean?
* is x still current? questions, e.g., 128Mg swap size; incompatibility
with the 2.2 linux kernel (I've seen open bugs on those 2 at least),
low-memory installation..
* what advice to give about loading drivers, explanations of what the
drivers are and what parameters one might give them (I find no general
linux howto's on drivers or modules, and don't know how to traceback from a
given name listed as a loadable driver to some documentation on it).