Re: Proposed directory structure for the installation "disks"

On Sat, 4 Mar 2000, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Anne's proposal is very nice, though at this point I'm a little unsure
> whether links are OK for the CD.

They should be. If the sym2hardlink stuff doesn't work (which I really doubt),
we'll just manually copy all files. AFAIK there's enough space left on the
3 Binary CDs to store that.

[...]
> Quibbles:
>
> I wouldn't have separate directories for harddisk, network and cdrom, even
> if they are just links to the same thing.  I think we should pick one name
> that seems best, and explain it in the readme.  I assumed that people using
> networks or CD's would be able to figure out they could use harddisk, but a
> more general name would be better.  Some possibilities: big, unrestricted,
> unlimited (hmm.. not so good for 8.3), large, disks-9.99, disks.big.  After
> all, there are zip drives, super diskettes, and other technologies now or
> in the future. Trying to name all the media/methods which are unrestricted
> by size is starting down a path which could get out of control--if having 3
> links isn't already out of control! :)

Good point. I changed it to "big-disk" and wrote an explanation of the media
in the top-level README.

As before, see:

> >  http://www.uk.debian.org/~costar/bootdisks/disks-test/
> >

> >Only one question: how does the installation program behave when there are
> >multiple copies of drivers.tgz, base2_2.tgz around (on CD or FTP/HTTP)? Maybe
> >there should be some "filtering" to only show standard/cdrom/ or so when
> >necessary.

Will we also have low-mem boot disks? If so, it'll just be another flavor.

(Also, for other arch's there seem to be lots of bootdisks = flavors.)

Another point: network-based installs offer (AFAIK) more possibilities than
only base2_2.tgz on NFS/FTP/HTTP. However I doubt if it's wise to mention all
that in the top-level README, as it's likely to over-confuse newbies. Better
say something about it in a doc/netinstall.txt or the like.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer