Re: powerpc (was Re: Thoughts after an install (well, partway through))

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 12:12:44AM -0500, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 12:10:51AM -0500, Adam Di Carlo wrote:
> > 'make mirror' should still work.
> >
> > BTW, why does powerpc wanna build the kernel as part of the
> > boot-floppies build.  That's pretty broken...
>
> Without looking, I'd say because making bootable floppies for powermac
> (the usual way at least) requires the bootloader from the kernel.  See
> arch/ppc/coffboot.

[lurkmode off]

It's for PReP and it's kernel-based bootloader/initrd scheme.  Currently,
there is no way to make a zImage+initrd PReP bootable image without building
a complete source tree (well at least rebuilding the bootloader in
arch/ppc/boot with the kernel and initrd offsets so things can be relocated
properly).  This will probably change in the future, but PReP has a lot of
other higher-priority kernel tasks right now.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com