Re: trimmed down rescue/root/driver disk sets

> You might want to look at how tomsrtbt and the other mini-Linuxes do it.
> The consensus seems to be to use a 1722k superformatted disk.  Don't know
> how that will work with _old_ floppy drives.

ok, i'll take a look. IMHO we should avoid "superformmatted" disks at all
cost. They are unreliable and often only work on the machine on which the
disk is formatted, and only if the planets are aligned in a certain way, etc
etc etc.

> DON'T do it the Corel way :( There is just one disk for install and rescue.
> Almost everything is a module - OK _BUT_ the autoprobing for hardware for
> modules to install causes my machine (and a few others) to lock solid.

Let me ask you this -- does slink boot floppies work for you? i don't
understand what can be *bad* about fitting rescue/root onto one floppy.

> [The cure is to rebuild the kernel - but they don't give you the kernel source
> installed by default, they've modified the configs fairly extensively - and
> they don't use make-kpkg :< ]  The scsi card I have is a Tekram DC390T - there
> are two drivers available in kernel source - if you use both, it causes problems- just use the AMS _and_ DC390 one. The probe for the WD7000 causes problems
> for Adaptec's doesn't it IIRC? It would be nice to see the 3c509 card
> included as standard if that were not too much trouble - or put all network
> cards in as modules.

The kernel config I am using is at http://gandalf.tausq.org/tmp/bf-kernel-config.

The kernel in my test rig is currently 912716 bytes. The bulk of the size
are the scsi drivers. Since it is unlikely we can fit rescue/root onto one
floppy anyway, we can actually compile in a few more well-behaved net
drivers. The currently-compiled in ones are all pci cards that should never
hang (FLW?). We might want to include common isa cards like ne2k, 3c509,
eepro and perhaps smc ultra.

randolph
--
Debian Developer <tausq@debian.org>