Re: resc2880.bin

On Tue, Oct 05, 1999 at 03:42:09PM -0700, Joey Hess wrote:
> I ran into this when modifying the slink boot-floppies to use 2.2 kernel. [1]
> Here's a rundown of the problem:
>
> - A 2.2 kernel has kmod enabled. Seems like a good idea in general.
> - At several points in the install, devices are accessed that the kernel
>   doesn't have drivers for. I think this included /dev/hdd and some other
>   stuff.
> - kmod tries to load a module via modprobe. No module exists of course.
> - modprobe outputs an error message to the console.
>
> Fixing this is a little tricky. The choices seem to be:
>
> - Disable kmod. Ok for the install process, perhaps, but this is something
>   we really need in our default kernel.
> - Make these messages go to somewhere else. This would seem to involve
>   changing the console to be tty2 on the boot floppies. Doing that breaks a
>   lot of stuff though.
> - Hack around it. My hack was to echo "" > /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe
>   This makes kmod not run modprobe, but now it tries to run "" instead.
>   It realizes there is no such program, and printk()'s an error message.
>   The error message goes to console, but can be trapped by changing the
>   severity of kernel message that goes to console, or by including a small
>   kmod daemon on the rescue disk.
> - Hm, just thought of another workaround: Include a stub modprobe command on

I was playing with your "hack" since we talked about this last.  My solution
which is what you mention here last is to:

echo "/bin/true" | /proc/sys/kernel/modprobe

true makes for a nice quiet modprobe stub.

I'm checking this in and if there are any objections we can easily change it.

--
Matt Porter
mmporter@home.com