kernel for booting vs standard kernel ?

If I recall, a lot of poeple were thinking that there's no reason why
the kernel image people use to boot with needs to or even ought to be
the same kernel which is standard for day-to-day running (i.e.,
kernel-image-2.2.12 or whatever) in the archive.  Obviously it's a
little easier to use the same kernel for both in terms of installation
and not having to maintain another kernel.  But it might give us more
leverage to play around with kernel settings (and req'd modules for
installation) if we maintain our own "boot kernel".

What is the illuminati's current thinking on this?

Herbert, do you have any particular thoughts about this issue?