Re: COmments on the task packages

On 17-Sep-99 Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> * "Sean" == Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shaleh@valinux.com> wrote:
>
> Sean> Apt will only grab depends, but later dselect will then give
> Sean> more options.  And hopefully the next generation package helper
> Sean> (whatever it may be) will as well.
>
> I am afraid, it might confuse users that you get different results
> when using dselect instead of apt-get or in the first installation.
>
> Installing a task package should result in a deterministic, equal
> result, no matter how you install it.
>
> Maybe I see this as a too big problem, and we should use more than
> Depends?
>
> On the other side: Is a package really relevant for a task if it
> doesn't fit into the Depends category?

Ok, many laptop users take their laptops from place to place.  So
netenv/dhcp/divine solve this issue.  However, if it is a depends, one can not
choose.  Nor can they remove task-laptop later, w/o losing the other packages.

Now many a better attack would be task-mobile.  However it still limits my
choice to one of the items (likely dhcp).

This is another reason why replaces: would be helpful.  Say that you want to
change a machine's purpose.  Install a new task, old packages go away.