Re: master2files / potato

* "Adam" == Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> wrote:

Adam> I don't really get what the strategy is... I thought we were
Adam> going to rip out the task / profiles from the CVS area entirely,
Adam> and upload them as a batch to the Debian archive itself with
Adam> special naming (task-* and profile-* perhaps).

I just commited the stuff I have done so far to the CVS - it can be
removed later when it is no longer needed, but for now, it is a good
way for everyone to take a look at it. Hope I don't abuse the CVS for
this.

I can convert them to packages and upload them into incoming, if this
is better, but I thing handling one file per task is easier in this
stage of developement.

>> This is one part. And it is technically very easy. The only thing is
>> to determine the purpose of the different tasks and then to determine
>> the contents of these.

Adam> master2files already contains a list...

Yes, and I extensively used it to extract most of the packages I use
in the task. I left out the cruft, but still, the tasks need revision.

I put two files README and README.tasks with some more thoughts in the
dir.

[ conflict checking ]

Adam> I personally think this concern is purely secondary and should be
Adam> worked out as we reach it.  Consistency testing, however, can be
Adam> automated.

I have been distracted by this too much. If I remeber maths correctly,
there are n! combinations for n tasks, and there are 40 + gnome + sgml
+ sgml-dev tasks so far, so consistency and conflict checking is
necessary.

Adam> What would be in the boot-floppies CVS area is just the little
Adam> interface to help the user select these, right?

Regarding the interface. We still need to rip a apt-get configurator
from somewhere (apt method for dselect maybe?), and the current task
selector is written as a sh script (eeks, not my field of endeavour).

Ciao,
	Martin