Re: Recent tinkerings

Aaron Van Couwenberghe <vanco@sonic.net> writes:

> Can LDLINUX.SYS handle initrd's?

I think so.

> When the boot floppies do use an initrd, what exactly will it be used for?
> Drivers, yes, I know. But which drivers go on the initrd? My guess would be
> any needed to access any controllers/media the user needs access to (and any
> additional drivers needed for the install to work).

I'm not sure that we *are* using an initrd for potato boot-floppies,
but generally it is used when you want to support devices for your
*root* media which aren't supported in your *boot* media.  For
instance, if we wanted a boot floppy that had a kernel which didn't
support CDROM or SCSI, but we wanted it to be able to mount root off
CDROM or SCSI.

Unfortunately, I believe we *do* want to allow boot from CDROM and
SCSI (i.e., SCSI cdrom).  So having an initrd isn't going to help
much.  It *will* help for problematic drivers like the WD drivers if
having them in the kernel causes problems.

What we plan to do instead is split the boot and root floppies, so if
you're booting from floppy, you'll need boot, root, and drivers
floppies.

> In this case, what is the best course to take after the initrd is
> loaded? Something like SuSE does (autodetect)? Or will we rely more
> on user input?

I doubt we'd have autodetect since no-one's working on it and it's too
late to add such a huge project.