Re: installation Profiles and Tasks

On Saturday 24 July 1999, at 22 h 19, the keyboard of Martin Bialasinski
<martin@internet-treff.uni-koeln.de> wrote:

> The differences in the architectures are a pain. The current master
> file for the profiles has quite some arch dependant parts.

When I started working on it, I expected (naively) that Debian is Debian, whatever the architecture is. But you have two important sources of discrepancy:

- some packages are arch-specific, either because they are fucking non-free binary packages, or because they make sense only for one architecture (a tool to tune Pentium processors is certainly not interesting for Alphas).
- more important, different ports are NOT in sync. They use an older or more recent libc, for instance, they do not recompile fast enough so they still use the old one, etc. slink was released with different package versions in its ports and potato will probably do the same (m68k will still use glibc 2.0, for instance)

Pay attention to port differences, anyway: it can be the symptom of a bug (like the JPEG mess in slink).